[TowerTalk] Laws of Physics Repealed!

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 25 14:33:51 EDT 2015

My dad (W5JHJ, SK) used an AV640 for a number of years on 40 m when we
had a schedule between OK and CO on 40 m every Sunday afternoon. It was
up about 10 ft above the ground attached to the eave of the roof. As I
recall, it tuned by the book after assembly. It looked wobbly but held
up fine for many years. I used double hose clamps on everything and also
Ox-Gard on every mechanical connection. The only problem I recall with
it (other than it was rather complex to assemble) was that there was a
strap from the matching assembly to the vertical element that flexed
slightly as the antenna moved in the wind. That strap finally broke due
to fatigue, so I fashioned another one and it worked FB after that.

I vaguely recall that the instructions said there was a sweet spot in
the mounting height; 10 - 30 ft or something like that. I never quite
understood why and it was never an issue, anyway.

73,

Kim N5OP