[TowerTalk] Strange happening with 10 Meter Beam

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Wed Oct 28 11:30:28 EDT 2015

Hi Herb, your problem sounds very much like high coax loss, in spite of it
being new.

A quick check on this is to do a vswr check on a different band where you
would expect a high vswr. Such as 20m for example, you would expect the vswr
to  be 5 or 10 to 1. If there is excess loss in the line, the expected high
vswr  would be greatly reduced. In fact, you can actually determine the
loss by the  amount the vswr is improved over expected.

An extreme example of this is my 1296 MHz dummy load: a 100 ft length  of
RG213 with the far end unterminated has enough loss to reduce the infinite
vswr to less than 1.3 to 1 or so.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 10/28/2015 8:30:52 A.M. Central Daylight Time,