[TowerTalk] Rhn 45 bolts

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Thu Sep 3 13:37:31 EDT 2015

On 9/3/2015 10:16 AM, Richard Lightner wrote:
> Later this year I am going to erect a Rohn 45.  Before I start this job, I
> have been checking everything on the ground to be sure all is good.  I
> discovered that the bolts that connect the tower sections have been hot
> dipped in zinc.  They are very tight, and I think that it might be too
> difficult to tighten them on the tower when I am 30 feet or higher.  Should
> I take a tap and die to clean out the threads?  Lock washers were not
> included.  Should I get some zinc ones before I start this job?

The manufacturer of an outdoor safety-critical structure has included
outdoor-rated safety-critical hardware for assembly and you're thinking
about replacing it with cheap bolts from the local hardware store that
will rust before the first winter is out?

Seems suicidal to me. Please make sure the tower can't fall on anyone
else when it does.

Matthew Kaufman