[TowerTalk] Grinding hole in thick steel plate?

Rich Hallman - N7TR rich at n7tr.com
Mon Sep 7 14:33:22 EDT 2015

I had a ¾ inch steel plate made up that will be used to retrofit a HDX589 base foundation to a HDX572 base.   After giving both bases to the machine shop and asking them to make sure all of the holes are exactly the same location as the base, some of the holes are 1/8 to ¼ inch off.   I had a major issue with this machine shop so I will not take it back for now.

I wanted to see what others have done to grind out holes in thick steel plate.

I was looking at the Carbide Burr bits and getting a ¾ inch burr bit to see if that would grid enough from the hole so it would then fit the bases.

The holes are pretty close....so I thought grinding them out would be the best solution for now.

Any thoughts?

Thanks....Rich

Rich N7TR
ex KI3V, N3AMK, WB3JOV