[TowerTalk] Steady Hand On The Stick Wow!!!!!

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Fri Sep 25 22:56:10 EDT 2015

In the USAF my job allowed me a couple hours stick time per quarter in
the aircraft whose pilots I trained on an instrument trainer/flight sim.
I had a few rotor heads as students. Without autopilot I can attest to
the tenderness of choppers to control input.  Even flying a truck
(HH-47, a large Sikorsky recip) I found to be challenging as the
slightest stick movement caused large A/C motions.  I had to rest my arm
on my knee and use light pressures rather than movement of the
controls.  I'm no rotor head, just a fixed wing kinda guy but credit
where credit is due the pilot in the clip had a hand as cool as "Luke."
Even with auto-stabilization, auto-hover, auto pilot, etc.  when it is
just man and machine sans computer stuff like in the video clip the
pilot showed his virtuosity.

Patrick        NJ5G