[TowerTalk] Inner conductor migration in Heliax(TM)

Dick Blumenstein rcblumen at centurylink.net
Tue Apr 12 15:12:48 EDT 2016

Not sure what you mean by the "drums vertical"? Do you mean that the
wire is mostly vertical being stored on the drums; that the drums are
sitting on edge?

Dick K0CAT
=====================

David Aslin G3WGN wrote on 4/12/2016 2:33 PM:
> Hi all,
> Looking for the TT brains trust to help me out with this issue:
> I have two drums of LDF4-50 and one of LDF5-50 which have been stored on their sides for around 10 years.  This disobeys one of the prime directives, since Andrew/Commscope say they MUST be stored with the drums vertical.  My understanding is that the horizontal storage may lead to inner conductor migration.
> QUESTIONS: How can I determine whether migration has occurred; if so to what extent; and what extent should cause me to avoid using the cable for the 50m/165ft+ runs to my HF towers?
>
> Of course, if there is gross migration, a continuity check from inner to outer would reveal a short, but would a TDR or other method reveal performance degradation from lesser amounts of migration?
> 73, David G3WGN  M6O

Richard (Dick) Blumenstein
Tel:  (386)  451-6660

E-Mail:  rcblumen at centurylink.net

/"/Ineptocracy:
   A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by
the least capable of producing,
   and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves
or succeed,
   are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated
wealth of a diminishing number of producers./"/