[TowerTalk] Common Mode Interference

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 20 16:26:14 EDT 2016

On 4/20/16 12:43 PM, charlie at thegallos.com wrote:
> <snip>
>> Also, take a look at the extensive common mode noise mitigation work
>> done by N4IS.
>> His work illuminates what Jim talks about.  (Very interesting, he has
>> done quite a bit of work.)
>> Here is a link,  slide way down and look at all the common mode work he
>> has done :
>> http://wwrof.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/WWROF-WEBNAIR-RX-Antennas-for-a-Small-Lot-.pdf
> <snip>
>
> I always love the stuff that talks about "small lot" - what most of these
> guys call a small lot I call acreage - I live in NYC - 42x100 is a average
> lot in my area.  Small - hahahah

My great uncle raised cattle in North Dakota.  Up there, the informal
dividing line between small and big is whether you've got more than a
section (a square mile, 640 acres) to work with.

Here in Southern California, 5000 square feet of lot space is the
dividing line between "condominum lot" and "house lot": Even if the
houses are detached from each other and 3000 square feet of floor space,
if it's a residential planned development where the average "lot size"
is <5000 square feet, it's likely technically a "condominium
development" and you'll pay slightly more for loan interest, etc.

50x100 ft is a typical lot size, with a 2 story house that is 30-40 x
50-60 footprint on that (5 foot setback from lot line, but chimneys
aren't counted)

So your expansive back yard might be 50 feet wide and 20-25 feet deep
with a front yard similar (with a 20x20 foot driveway in the middle of
course)