[TowerTalk] 6 x 2 unit...

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Apr 20 19:53:15 EDT 2016

Always plan on allowing for expansion.

The only real drawback with automatically operated remote switches over
manual is cost.  Hookup may, or may not be more complex. It's usually,
follow the directions.

The nice thing about a decoder and a controller is it will pick the
proper antenna for you (once it is properly connected).  The odds of the
wrong antenna using manual switches, even properly labeled are quite
high. IOW, it becomes a question of when, not if you transmit into the
wrong antenna.  Yes, I know there are those who say they have used that
scheme for years without a problem, but according to the odds they are
the lucky exception rather than the rule.

I trust computers only after a program has proven itself.  The same goes
for all the connection.  There is the old saying, "To err is human, but
iy takes a computer to really screw up" USUALLY a computer program is
thoroughly proven by the time it gets to the public, but there have been
some notable screw-ups in operating system updates.

Another point about the remote selecting switches is they easily allow
for adding antennas to the system. They do not have to be monobanders.
20, 15, and 10 can all selected as the same antenna with most systems.
My rig allows selecting a particular output for each band.  My six pack
has remote switches connected to two of the outputs.  That means few of
those connections identified with a band actually are used for that band.

NOTE:  If you end up with any unused connectors (IE SO239s) lightly
lubricate the threads and use a plastic cap to cover the connector.  If
not properly weather proofed the silver plated connectors will rapidly
deteriorate.  I've had them become unusable in just a few months.

73

Roger (K8RI)