[TowerTalk] Lifting a mast off the rotator

Les Kalmus w2lk at bk-lk.com
Sun Apr 24 22:11:00 EDT 2016

I came home from Visalia to find my antenna system freewheeling. The
mast holds 4 yagis, one of which is very large, and is rotated by an
Orion rotator.
If my suspicions are correct, the problem is the little 1/4" bolt
holding the shaft up into the bottom of the mast clamp has loosened and
allowed the shaft to fall.

The tower is lowered and the antennas are tied off to a tree. I have
removed the mast clamp and now I have to raise the mast about 1/2" to
free the centering block so I can remove it to inspect that bolt.
I have a come along with an additional block with which I can lift the
mast, but the carabiner I have won't fit into the small space between
the centering block and the inside of the mast.

Any suggestions on a way to either hook the mast from the bottom or to
clamp to it so I can raise it? We're talking maybe 400 lbs in the
complete antenna system.
I have done this in the past but I think I didn't have the centering
block at that time so it was easier to get something hooked into the
bottom of the shaft.

Les W2LK