[TowerTalk] Rotator Choice for Larger Yagi

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Apr 25 21:08:31 EDT 2016

Mine is the earlier version with the AC motor.  I don't know if the
mechanical part of the new version has addressed the faults listed below
or not.

I was using a PST61 on the array shown.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower29.htm . It worked fine
except for the top seal design captured water causing the output shaft
to rust which destroyed the seal letting water into the rotator.  A
friend turned down the output shaft to get rid of the rust pits, so a
slightly overs size seal worked just fine. That too is shown in the
rebuilding link.

Beside the top seal design which can be worked around, I was made aware
of the rotators main weakness being the bottom attachment to the mount
being only 4 bolts shown in photo 21 in
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/Gears.htm  Everything in the rotator is
heavy duty (as shown in the rebuilding photos), "except" for those 4
bolts.  I had no problems, but some others have had serious problems
with large antennas.

The rotator is rated for 44 sq ft of antenna wind area, but I have my
doubts as to those 4 bolts in that mount.
I like the way the PST61 works, but it does have a few short comings.
OTOH, I think I'd go with the Alphaspid, or possibly the big (I think
it's the PST71)  for the large antenna.

73 es good luck!

Roger (K8RI)