[TowerTalk] Rotator Lube

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Wed Apr 27 16:28:55 EDT 2016

I agree that SuperLube is terrific for the rotator main ring ball
bearings and gears in rotators, plus many other applications.

For supposedly "life time lubricated" sintered bronze sleeve bearings I
use a few drops of 5w30, which is probably as good as anything to
refresh the oil in the porous bronze, but not much will get in unless
submerged in oil and then a vacuum pulled on it to remove the air so the
oil will go back into the pores at atmospheric pressure.  There are
dozens of oils made specifically for sintered bronze, but probably
supplied only in 55 gal drums.

For ball bearings that are open, I flush them with a solvent spray, dry
(not with compressed air btw), and regrease with a grease without
fillers, although SuperLube is an alternative on low speed shafts even
with its TFE additive.  Cleanliness is everything for bearing life.  For
high speed shafts I use a ball bearing grease and a synthetic is the
best choice e.g. Mobilith SHC 100.  There are exotic greases for
precision bearings such as ABEC 7 and 9 grades used in machine spindles.
$20 per ounce and up.  For sealed (rubber seals) or shielded (metal
covers) ball bearings I have "resuscitated" a few for a while with a
hypodermic insertion of oil (sealed) or a vacuum impregnation (shielded)
of oil, as an emergency measure.  A decent brake line purging hand
vacuum pump works ok if you don't have a motorized vacuum pump.

Greased ball bearings are usually specified to have a grease life of 5
years, but 10 years can happen, and beyond that it's all luck as the oil
evaporates leaving behind the oil carrier as hard lumps. Synthetic
greases last longer than petroleum oil based greases.

Grant KZ1W