[TowerTalk] Looking for a Short Rotatable Dipole or...

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 28 17:01:51 EDT 2016

On 4/28/16 9:31 AM, john at kk9a.com wrote:
> Unless your roof is very high, a rotatable dipole will have little
> directivity. The simplest and least expensive antenna is a wire dipole. If
> you want something better try a 33' vertical with a good ground system.

or two dipoles roughly crossing, and a switch or goniometer to select
between them.

  Dipoles (short dipoles in particular) do not have a "narrow" beam in
any sense of the word (HPBW is 120 degrees).  What they have is a null
that can be placed on an interfering signal.

The null *is* fairly narrow

at about 9-10 dB down, it's about 45-50 degrees wide
at 20 dB down it's about 15 degrees wide

So if you want to knock down that big gun in the next city (who you're
hearing from the sidelobes) so you can hear the other folks you're both
trying to work, a rotatable dipole (or the electronic equivalent) would
be useful.