[TowerTalk] Birds and the Leaning Tower

StellarCAT rxdesign at ssvecnet.com
Tue Aug 2 19:18:59 EDT 2016

my experience has been that rotating only works for a while- they get use to
it ... I've had literally hundreds of birds on antennas at one time ...
never had any damage...but here in my new location in upstate SC I have 3
VERY large turkey vultures in the back corner of our 11 acres ... near the
back tower - I'll probably need to get rid of them before finishing the
planned 2 towers with stacks... I absolutely DON'T want damage to those
antennas.

I wonder if one could run a dacron rope - well no - good idea but it
wouldn't fully cover everything - I was thinking of running a 1/8" dacron
rope taut between the ends of the boom about 3" above it - this would keep
them from at least landing on the boom I believe... but I'd rather have them
land there then on the elements.

I had read somewhere - was it on here? To hang a CD on a string - drill the
CD offset from the center so that it constantly twists - and the reflections
will ward them off ... not sure if that would work all the time but might
work during daylight hours. Seems birds tend to 'sit' on lines at sunset so
that probably wouldn't work then.

Maybe a wireless speaker? Play predator bird sounds through it? Cannon?

The problem is whatever you do needs to be constant - so anything that
involves yourself isn't going to work as they'll just be there when you're
not.

Gary
K9RX