[TowerTalk] Safely Unscrewing Cap Screws on the TX-472 Hub City Worm Gear Box

Alan Swinger awswinger at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 9 09:16:58 EDT 2016

I replace the oil once or twice a year. I use an allen wrench to remove the drain plugs - bottom and side (side to check re-fill level), and a small open end wrench to open the top nut that has the breather hole. Since I do this with the tower vertical, had to get the allen wrench short end cut down a 1/2 in or so to fit between frame and allen nut (poor design by UST).
Once drained, screw in bottom drain allen nut ( I use plumbers tape to prevent leaks), fill until oil runs out of side nut drain hole screw in that nut, then put top fill nut back on with the wrench.

Should you happen to have the tower horizontal, the draining evolution is easier and cleaner!

73,
Alan K9MBQ