[TowerTalk] Fwd: Stacking question - another reality data point

n1rr at comcast.net n1rr at comcast.net
Thu Aug 11 14:27:55 EDT 2016

Hans,
This idea of lobe steering or tilt is also used on commercial collinear / stacked dipole VHF/UHF verticals to
apply an up-tilt or a down-tilt in the main lobe of the vertical to solve terrain/coverage issues.

I have three comments on this for HF stacked yagi lobe steering:

#1 For a DXer on the highbands, it might allow for a small improvement in signal to a single station, but you
have to remember that as you move the lobe away from natural ZERO-TILTED standard phasing state,
the gain figure of the main lobe will decrease and it likely will decrease at nearly or greater than the
increase in TX/RX signal strength resulting in no improvement or a negligible loss/gain.
(This can also be seen when side-stacking [horizontal stacked pair] when BOP splits the forward lobe but
the gain is cut by 3 to 10db. I'd love to play with a pair of long boom yagis when the higher bands open again
while trying to cover the pacific and Asia from here without a rotor but using lobe steering.)
This kind of control is very precise, whereas HF propagation over a typical opening covers a broader set of
wave angles then the granularity that 1 degree tilt would provide in a contest running/CQ-ing operating scenerio.
If you did try this, I'd model it with a 2-stack using very long yagis which would have a narrow and higher gain lobe
to control from the beginning and I would test it on the highest band that offers F-layer prop which will delay the
start of your on-air testing until 2026.....

#2 The use of a BOP antenna phasing position -
Tim-K3LR has only implemented that on two bands: 20M & 15M.
And it is likely only to improve the short skip signal strength to fend off frequency incroachers or to work
short-skip close-in Canadian Ops or e-skip. Maybe Tim or some of his ops on those bands like DG/UA/RV etc
can comment on what conditions the BOP is useful for longer haul propagation. Those would be enlightening stories.

#3 There's been some work published that covers using lowband gain arrays and lobe steering them. This might
be another area for you to investigate. If you come up with any ideas that Dave or I could try, I'd enjoy talking
with you about them next time I come up to Peru.

-Charlie N1RR