[TowerTalk] Weight on ends of a OCF diploe

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Fri Aug 12 11:33:07 EDT 2016

My experience is that the tree grows around the rope over the limb
(pines, firs, cedars, not redwoods) and thus becomes immovable.  So I
put a good $14 marine/ss pulley on the top end so it becomes a fixed
support.  If the rope moves back and forth before it is grown around
then it frays and breaks, but there is little motion with a fixed rope.
The force needed to pull up antennas is also significantly reduced,
particularly if I spring for ball bearing pulleys.

Then the antenna hoist line thru the fixed pulley is a full loop so if
the antenna breaks I can't lose the antenna end.  Or a 1/8" messenger
line on the end of a not looped (or looped) hoist line which can be
handy for tugging antenna wire thru/around branches.  A full loop can
get surprisingly long since the antenna attach point can be a ways from
the tree base when the antenna is on the ground. Good pulleys are cost
effective vs line cost.

With very low wear, the 3/16 or 1/4 dacron line lasts, I'm reusing it
from 1986. Now and then some goes into a mesh bag in the washer and they
clean up nicely.  I've done this with all sorts of gunked up lines since
my sailing days, but use a front loader which can't wrap them in an
agitator top loader mechanism (don't ask).  But better not get caught by
the YL, and run a dummy load afterwards to clean the washer.

Bigger is better for pulley diameters but then they get very pricey if
marine quality.  8 to 10x rope diameter vs pulley (called a sheave)
diameter is the rule of thumb for modern fiber line running brigging on
a sailboat.  16:1 for wire rope to get 90% of break strength.

The "bungee in pvc pipe" is a great idea for tensioning, no big mass on
a spring effect with a bucket of rocks.

Grant KZ1W