[TowerTalk] Rotator and Beam advice requested

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 22 08:19:35 EDT 2016

On 8/21/16 10:28 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
> Doesn't retracting the tape after every session create extra wear on the
> tape and other moving parts. BR/CU tape doesn't have an infinite life,
>
> 73

It doesn't have an infinite life, but it's probably pretty long. BeCu is
used for springs and in that use has million cycle kind of life.  It
would be the lucky ham who has a million cycles on their tapes.

It's kind of like life on rotator pots:  A typical "panel pot" might
have a design life of a few tens thousand rotations, compared to a
purpose designed position feedback pot with a million rotations,
compared to a trim pot with a design life of a few dozen.

At first I thought that the use of a panel pot in a rotator was driven
by cost (feedback pots are >$100 for good ones) - but then I thought ..
say you operate every day for a few hours, and you move the antenna
every 10 minutes, call it 50 moves/day.  That's 1500 moves a year, and
if your pot has a design life of 20,000 cycles, you've got years and
years of duty.

(this after having worn out a panel pot in a mechanical device using it
for feedback, where we had a cycle every second... in a day you get
nearly 100,000 cycles)