[TowerTalk] What Is This Antenna?

Don W7WLL w7wll at arrl.net
Thu Aug 25 12:38:58 EDT 2016

The following is a note sent to the DX club I belong to but so far this antenna has NOT been identified. Thought some of the OT’s here might have a larger knowledge base.

Don W7WLL

This was given to me some time ago by a non-ham who didn’t know what to do with it, It has been setting with my old broken and broken down beams and beam material for several years.

The coil is 68 turns of #12 single wire spacing on a 1-1/8 core. Obviously there were additional element pieces but they did not come with this handoff. The standoffs are ceramic and the wood platform appears to be possibly redwood, but I’m unsure. The coil is encased in a plastic form like an old MasterMobile antenna, sealed both ends except where the wire from the coil ends come out to fasten to the elements.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember an old 40 M rotatable dipole like this, maybe circa ‘50’s??  I’m unsure how the antenna was fed but there are terminal lugs at each element end where the coil ends attach to the element.

Looking at the construction it appears to have been a commercial manufacture vs homebrew.

Any ideas about what it is??

Pictures attached.