[TowerTalk] To pin or not to pin

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sun Aug 28 15:26:43 EDT 2016

It depends a bit on what you want to happen in an overload situation.
My PTO auger used grade 5 bolts which worked as shear pins if the auger
hit a rock, thus the auger shaft was not damaged.

An 8mm hole would insignificantly  weaken the mast inside the clamp and
you have a thrust bearing above that takes most of the load.   A quick
calc of 8mm grade 5 (65ksi steel) in shear at 2 places on 2" mast is
about 700 ft-lbs to shear it.    I don't know how that compares to your
rotator max parked torque, so maybe a larger diameter or grade 8 bolt is
appropriate.  Another consideration is how the rotator clamp bolt holes
might be deformed.   Since the current clamps can't generate a
slip-critical fit condition (friction between the surfaces rather than
bolt shear strength as the limit) I don't think a single pin will have
sufficient clamping force for slip-critical fit.  With the clamps
slipping and the shear bolt not a perfect fit the mast and bolt will
experience a shock load from the slop in the fit and over time the bolt
and hole wear will make that worse.

What will be difficult is to drill a straight accurately sized round
hole while on the tower in 120ksi steel.   I'd use a USA cobalt split
point drill sized as close as possible to the bolt diameter and plenty
of coolant - about $15.  Step drilling in hard steel is difficult unless
you have a core drill designed for that purpose.

You might consider an aftermarket mast clamp for the rotator that would
be an easier and better solution.  It would be IMO.

Grant KZ1W