[TowerTalk] Strength of installation raising cable for the LM470?

Steve (K1IIG) stephen.tripp at snet.net
Sun Aug 28 05:02:03 EDT 2016

Hello Roger and Dan,

I too have an LM470 which is only 3 years old and wish there were an easier way to tilt it. I had a friend make up and adapter replacing the handle with has a 1/2" stud allowing a Hole Hawg or other drill to raise and lower the tower. Even at the end of the 40:1 winch it did not have enough tork to perform this job. I now use my Jeep winch to assist with the raising of the tower from a horizontal position. The first 10-20 degrees I do have to hand crank to assist the Jeep. By attaching the Jeep cable through a pulley fixed at the bottom of the stationary section and run to the same lifting point as the tower winch it makes raising the tower much easier. This also provides extra safety while working on the tilted tower.  See pic attached.

I am very interested in what you install and would appreciate any pics.

73's
Steve
K1IIG

I checked my TriEx documentation, extracted info which I hope is helpful for
you.

My tower (LM470D) was purchased from an estate in 1998, and I rebuilt and
recabled it in 1999. Most of the information I obtained was from TriEx, and
was later supplemented by Tash. Some of it is a little contradictory, so you
will have to draw your own conclusions.

It appears the cables on each tower section are (or were) 3/16"x7x19
galvanized, with 4200# minimum BS and 1400# working load. The
pull-up/pull-down cables are (or were) 1/4"x7x19 galvanized aircraft cable
with 7000# minimum BS and 4:1 safety factor.

At the time I put up my tower and tiltover assembly, TriEx told me they
would provide the same cable on the tiltover assembly as on the tower
(presumably the 7000# minimum BS).

I found some manuals from Tash circa 2010 which seem to confirm this data,
altho I don't know what their current data is, their cable supplier, nor if
it is published.

Very interested in the pulley mod you are working on, I hope you will share
it with us when you get it operational. I, too, loathe the tilt process, and
find it more difficult each time I have to perform it! I would welcome a
"torque multiplier", so your modification would be interesting. I have also
considered some of the Hole Hawg options, but am a little leery of the
mechanics and reliability involved.

Keep us posted on your project! Good luck and 73
dan
k0dan