[TowerTalk] Wind loading

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Aug 30 16:10:43 EDT 2016

A simplified calculation to add the wind forces is by computing the
moment from each diameter and then adding them together.  Multiply the
height in feet above ground to the center of each diameter times the
total wind force on that diameter.  Add them together. That yields the
overturning moment at the whip base.  Then you need the same moment from
a free standing base support to keep the whip upright - so much weight x
feet out, easiest if using 4 spokes with weights at their ends.  That
will have a safety factor since the pivot point for overturning is one
spoke length out on the other side.  Wind splitting two legs has the
weight and pivot distance 0.707 times the spoke length, but now there
are two weights resisting the wind moment, so all is ok.

Another tool is YagiMech from DX Eng which will calculate the stress in
each element and check if it exceeds the strength of the 6061. It is for
elevated yagis and thus uses a uniform wind velocity for all element
diameters.  A vertical experiences a wind velocity that varies with
height above ground as the K7NV formulas show.

Grant KZ1W