[TowerTalk] 6 mtr quad

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Aug 30 22:01:29 EDT 2016

A quad driven element is like a vertical stack of two
bent dipoles.  It can easily be determined from your
favorite NEC program that the "stacking gain" is about
1.25 dB for the 1/4 wavelength stacking distance.

A quad type beam is like a vertical stack of two yagis,
with bent elements.  The fallacy you sometimes read
about is the idea that the stacking gain in the multi-element
case is the same 1.25 dB as for the dipoles.  However,
stacking doesn't work that way.  As the quad boom gets
longer, the stacking gain decreases.  A "monster" quad
will have negligible stacking gain and be no better than
a Yagi with the same element spacing on the same boom.

Maybe that it why you don't see > 7 element designs.

Rick N6RK

On 8/29/2016 4:52 PM, Courtney Judd wrote:
> I have been thinking about building a monster quad for 6 mtrs. I have
> googled quads and all about but came up with very little data to work
> with. I did find a 7 el regular spaced quad on 19 ft boom but I was
> thinking of more elements and wide spaced... I have several 44 ft 2 in
Thanks, Cort K4WI