[TowerTalk] Questions

John E Cleeve g3jvc at jcleeve.idps.co.uk
Wed Aug 31 11:22:40 EDT 2016

Sheave bearings.

Hello,

My 60ft crank up tower is by Strumech and was erected in 1979. I resolved
the problem of worn centre bearing holes in the sheaves, by "chucking" them
in the lathe and boring out the worn centre to accept a 0.5 inch bore
"oilite" sleeve bearing, from memory, I think the sleeves are sintered
bronze, the sleeves were then pressed into the bored out sheaves. I also
renewed the steel bolts used as axles for the sheaves, the effort and cost
were minimal and the result a great improvement on the original steel sheave
on steel bolt arrangement.

73, John. G3JVC / GM3JVC