[TowerTalk] Station and tower grounding

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Dec 4 13:23:22 EST 2016

On Sat,12/3/2016 8:07 AM, Jeff Draughn wrote:
> So my question is would several 4 foot rods placed approximately 4 feet apart be satisfactory?

When thinking about the issues raised here, remember that a connection
to earth matters primarily for LIGHTNING PROTECTION. It does NOT make
transmitting antennas work better, and it does NOT solve RFI or noise
issues.

An earth connection IS helpful for RX antennas, but radials or a ground
screen work just as well. The major contesting station in PJ4 uses a few
25 ft radials to terminate their Beverages -- the earth is volcanic rock
-- and they work OK.

73, Jim K9YC