[TowerTalk] Which Thrust Bearing to Use

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 9 11:38:57 EST 2016

On 12/9/16 8:13 AM, Hardy Landskov wrote:
> UHMW PE has a horrible coefficient of expansion. I don't know about
> Nylatron.

But this isn't a micron clearance kind of application,is it?

  Aluminum is  22 ppm/degree C
  Steel is 12

UHMW PE is about 100

Nylons without glass seem to be in the 75-100 range

Acetal with glass filling is about 39 ppm, w/o the glass it's 106

So, let's assume grungy regular "plastic" is about 100 (although getting
a good glass filled, UV resistant wouldn't cost much more and would
probably be a better choice for other reasons)

SO let's take an example of a 2" diameter mast.  going from -40C to 60C
is 100 degrees, and probably wider than the range most ham towers will
see.  So that's a change in diameter of, worst case 100*100 ppm or 1%

Your 2" hole that just clears at -40 will be 2.02" at +60C.  I don't
think you're going to have a big problem with that 10 mil extra clearance.

If you have a 20 foot mast sticking up above the top, and 5 feet in the
tower, that 0.02" slop will turn into 0.1" at the very top of the mast.