[TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing expansion, a little warning

Hans Hammarquist hanslg at aol.com
Sat Dec 10 10:27:44 EST 2016

 Yes, the expansion for most resins is far larger than for most metals. The warning is that you usually place the resin inside a metal housing of some sort (as you don't want to rely on the tensile strength of the resin, only compression). The result is that, when you heat the assembly, the hole diameter will shrink because the resin will expand more that the surrounding metal housing.

This is more of academic interest as the elasticity of the resin will allow the shaft to rotate even if you have a tight fit.

Hans - N2JFS