[TowerTalk] Double Coax Runs to Reduce Loss?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Dec 21 13:34:01 EST 2016

Exactly right. The good reason for using parallel runs of coax is when
you need transmission line of double or half the Zo of commonly
available cable. Two applications I can think of are 1) short lengths to
provide impedance transformation and 2) long lengths to feed an antenna
whose feedpoint has that impedance.

For two cables fed in parallel, Zo is divided by two. For two cables fed
in series (that is, feeding from one center conductor to the other with
the shields tied together at both ends), Zo is multiplied by two.

73, Jim K9YC