[TowerTalk] Double Coax Runs to Reduce Loss

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Dec 23 17:44:25 EST 2016

On Fri,12/23/2016 12:42 PM, john at kk9a.com wrote:
> I used heavy THHN for rotator wire and it holds up fine outdoors.  As you
> said the exterior clear coating peels off put the PVC does not seem to
> degrade.

The run to the top of my tower is 350 ft. The run from the shack to the
tower is about 225 ft, and it consists of parallel runs of 3-wire indoor
power cable that lay on the ground. The run up the tower is some really
nice multi-conductor stuff that I found at a local electronic surplus
store (we still have a good one in Silicon Valley). I paralleled several
of the conductors in that smaller cable for the motor, and used single
conductors for the pot that senses position. The tower went up in 2008,
and I've had no issues. I haven't even inspected it.

73, Jim K9YC