[TowerTalk] Lightning Protection for Orion Rotor

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sat Dec 24 23:17:43 EST 2016

If the ball bearings in the rotator and "thrust" bearing are operating
as intended then an oil film is insulating the races from each other and
from the balls.  Every rotator I've disassembled has no electrical path
around the bearings.

I've watched the arcing across a motor ball bearing oil film on a scope,
and seen it in disk drive read signals.  If a polymer "thrust" bearing
is used on a tower then even higher voltage isolation is present at that
point.  The charge comes from air friction against the antenna or disk.
The oil film breakdown is on the order of 10's of volts.  VFD powered
motors are known to have potentially serious bearing problems from the
high frequencies the VFD's put into the windings, coupled to the shaft
and the potential is created to the frame across the bearing.
http://est-aegis.com/TechPaper.pdf

The consequence of not grounding around the rotator bearing is pitting
of the balls and races by the arcs and also RF noise generated near the
antenna.  Also, having a heavy gauge wire from mast to tower top is
likely to be helpful in a strike. The tower probably also acts somewhat
as a Faraday cage to shunt currents to the outside of the structure and
away from the rotator.

MOVs provide overvoltage protection but have a downside as they degrade
with every snubbing shunt and eventually fail.  On an AC power strip, a
failed to short MOV burned up a nearby ham's shack here when the plastic
power strip case ignited.     If on antenna control lines, sufficient
degradation can be experienced over time to prevent normal operation.
As one antenna manufacturer discovered before they switched to TVS
diodes.  Of course any transient suppression device can be vaporized
with sufficient power surges, but some pretty hefty capacities are
available.
http://www.littelfuse.com/products/tvs-diodes.aspx

Grant KZ1W