[TowerTalk] Fwd: length of raised radials

Hans Hammarquist hanslg at aol.com
Mon Dec 26 06:44:37 EST 2016

Now, what's in the word "elevated"? What you are saying is that when the radials are close, on or in ground then  "more is better" regardless of length, although it seems like you don't want a radial that has a resonance above your operating frequency. What about the situation if the radials is more than a few feet above ground like a vertical on top of a 80' tower. Is it still valid or do the other method with current sharing and inductor make sense? You don't want unequal current in the radials as that will affect your radiation pattern.

During fieldday operation I put out groundings for the station, one or two typical AC/DC stakes but also a "plate" consisting of a dozen or so about 12' long wires spread out like an umbrella. I make that as I think it can serve as an RF ground. Have no idea if it is effective or not and will, therefor not start any anecdotes about it. I do believe it gives some capacitive connection to ground and if that capacitance is large enough it should reduce RF inside the station.

Hans - N2JFS