[TowerTalk] UV and WX deterioration of THHN insulation, and effects

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 28 10:49:20 EST 2016

On 12/28/16 5:51 AM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:
> Skin effect... If skin effect can force conduction into the outer limit
> of the wire (the chemically altered part with poor conductivity) then
> why doesn't the skin effect force conduction out into the insulation and
> really have poor conduction? (or in bare wire out into the surrounding air)
>
> My friend and guru (who refuses to post here) has been a ham for several
> decades, is a retired EE, and has 35+ years antenna design experience
> (his specialty) agrees with the concept that RF conductivity can be
> characterized as a collection of parallel impedances, a continuum
> actually.  The depth of penetration of RF in a conductor does not have a
> "magic" cut-off point but instead has an exponential extinction.  That
> is, the deeper into the conductor the less RF but there is no magic
> barrier preventing RF from penetrating to any arbitrary depth, although
> at rapidly reduced values.

Exactly this..
Skin depth is a convenient way to measure the exponential fall off: it
is the depth at which if you had a uniform slab of that thickness and
uniform current density it would have the same resistance as an
infinitely thick slab..

That is: you can calculate the resistance by Skin depth* width * length
* resistivity.

It works exactly the same as the RC time constant - after one time
constant, there's still 37% of the voltage on the cap.

there were several links published to papers and calculators yesterday
that let you figure out what the effective AC resistance of a multiple
layer material is.

By the way, most of formulas are for flat slabs.  A round wire is
different, but if the flat slab formula says "no problem", then the
round wire is also likely "no problem".