[TowerTalk] Vertical Antennas near salt-water

Alex Malyava alex.k2bb at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 14:48:13 EST 2016

I think there are 2 different things in the same picture:
- antenna next to the salt water gets its radiation lobe closer to the
ground (the salt water). that's because the pattern is determined by
conductivity and losses of the ground many wavelength away from antenna.
- relative strength depends on how much power you are actually able to
radiate - and that depends on losses in "near" ground and radiation losses
(antenna material, number of radials etc.)

My personal, purely theoretical opinion without any first hand experience
or A/B tests:
Get the vertical as close to the salt water as possible
Get small number of real radials, not just piece of wire going down to the
water. I think that radiation resistance of 2-4-6 short copper/aluminum
radials will be much better then resistance of salt water.