[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Vertical Antennas near salt-water

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Thu Feb 4 01:20:46 EST 2016

Having used several "verticals on the beach" for three DXpeditions, we
verified they work extremely well.  This is because the pattern in the
direction of the salt water goes to near the horizon, at least as close
as EZNEC can model it.  In "take off angle" parlance, think less than 10
degrees.  Thus, for the 10KM paths or longer from the South Pacific to
ROW, they were the best choice on a north facing beach, ie they are
directive antennas.  All were with 1 or 2 raised radials, tuned for the
band of interest.  Since then I've extensively modeled verticals on the
beach and found that 2 radials parallel to the tide line that are
elevated at least 0.05 and preferably up to 0.15 wavelengths maximize
the seaward gain as long as the vertical is less than 0.4 wavelength or
so from the water. The verticals on the beach with elevated radials have
a resonance Z around 35 ohms, which indicates very low ground losses.

To get an omni pattern with your vertical on a dock, it needs to be
about 1.5 wavelengths from land and a single radial is ok.  The
directivity gain is lost, but the very low angle pattern is preserved.

Using an "electrical" connection directly to salt water is a very
interesting question which I only have anecdotal information about from
the sailing community.  From a DC resistance perspective it takes very
little surface area to make a low resistance connection. From an RF
perspective what I've seen recommended is in the several sq ft of
surface area and then within the top few inches of the water as that is
the skin depth at multi MHz.  If any towertalkians have data on this,
I'd sure appreciate getting a copy.

What is proven, as other DXpeditioners have documented, is that elevated
radials for a vertical close to the tide line work extremely well.
Also, Al Christman K3LC modeled this extensively in a NCJ 3 part series
published in 2005.

Grant KZ1W