[TowerTalk] What to do when you have no height

Earl Morse kz8e at wtd.net
Fri Feb 5 09:09:10 EST 2016

John,

You didn't mention what you wanted to do.  DX, domestic comms, etc.

My 2nd tribander is on a garage mounted tripod @ 20-25 ft, it works FB but is used mostly as the 2nd radio antenna as it usually performs well enough but not as good as the big tribander on the big tower.

While the trap vertical is small and convenient it probably pales when compared to even a low full size dipole on 80/40M.  I think the bandwidth is lousy on those too, maybe about 15-20kHz on 80M?

Suggestions:

You probably won't improve on the tribander unless you can get it higher.
Throw up an 80/40M dipole as high as you can get it and see how it compares with the Hustler 5BTV in bandwidth and performance.

When you have multiple antennas for the same band you will begin to appreciate the differences and find yourself using the better antenna more frequently after having checked both and finding out that signals are almost always better on one of them.

Earl
N8SS

Message: 6