[TowerTalk] Participating in a contest for the sake of dx?

RCM robrk at nidhog.net
Tue Feb 9 20:54:02 EST 2016

> On Feb 9, 2016, at 19:55, dw <bw_dw at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> I have heard DX mentors suggest that contests are high potential events
> for snagging some dx that wouldn't otherwise be so readily available.
>
> But I'm not sure how the contest people would feel about that?
>
> If ham-1 (a contest ham who will be submitting his log) makes a contact

There are some concerns, in some contest rules, about the number of unique calls. The contester who is the only one to work a station.

Think there are penalties,in some contests, if a station has a bunch that no one else works.

On the other hand, while you’re on, work a few, just to give some points. You will show in other logs.

 I play with the CQ Marathon (http://www.dxmarathon.com <http://www.dxmarathon.com/>) and need to work the EA’s and DL’s for the year. The contests are a good way to fill the form.

I have a couple CQWW first place certificates, with 150 Q's The big print says first place… The fine print says single op, low power, assisted, single band, western wabash section.

Kind of like, in a room full of people, how many old, fat, bald, guys, wearing a blue shirt and red sneakers are there.

All I have is 100 watts and a dipole. I tried for DXCC in one weekend. Made 98 one year. Give yourself a goal and make some noise.