[TowerTalk] My first tower section is not plumb...

J. Hunt ki5dq at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 12 06:41:33 EST 2016

Good trigonometry - really enjoy it.

Cheers,
James
  ki5dq
On Fri, 2/12/16, Ed Sawyer <sawyered at earthlink.net> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] My first tower section is not plumb...
 To: towertalk at contesting.com
 Date: Friday, February 12, 2016, 5:20 AM

 "His tower is only out 1.5 inches at 20 feet which would be 3.0 inches at 40  feet his final height. I think he should put guy lines on
 it, go to 40 feet,
  make sure the tower is straight (even at an 3" angle) then put an antenna on top,  go inside and work a contest."

 Ron W8RJL

 I agree with Ron.  Define straight.  I looked into this back when my first tower went up here and I saw that the tower was out of plumb
 about 3 inches at its 70ft total height.  (my second one here is about 1 - 1.5 inch at 70 ft).  I found in research that perfectly plumb was neither easily achievable nor necessary for a guyed tower.  It seemed that a few inches (maybe up to 5 inch for a 100 foot tower) was considered "acceptable".  So I decided to just tension the 2 guys pulling in the favorable direction to compensate the slight lean heavier than the 3rd one.  With a couple of beers - it sure looks straight to me..

   That tower is rock solid with a 4 el 20M monobander stacked over a 15M monobander (36 and 45 ft booms).  Up for 10 years now
 and the more I look at it the straighter it gets.

 73  Ed  N1UR