[TowerTalk] Finally got my crank up tilt over

Joel Wilson joel1847 at msn.com
Tue Feb 16 11:42:25 EST 2016

Finally got my crank up tilt over tower.  54', 3 sections, guyed and fairly heavy duty.  It's an old Tri Ex TH 354 which I can find very little info on.  What I'm planning on doing is replacing the hand winch with an ATV winch with braking.  Superwinch makes a 3000lb one.

http://www.amazon.com/Superwinch-1130220-LT3000ATV-fairlead-handlebar/dp/B0034ZUZM6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_469_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51GD794UKQL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1BCD5F92M22MGCQCZ87E

What I'm curious about is what about using ATV winches for the guy wires?  I have a couple reasons for wanting this.  I want to do some experiments with antenna height and I still need to guy the tower off but want to be able to guy it off fairly quickly.  With the winches, I could run all the power leads to one spot and be able to put a level on the tower as I tighten the winches one by one being careful not to torque the whole thing down.

If anyone has any tips I'm all ears and any info on this tower like wind loading would be most appreciated.

Joel
norcal
kj6dif