[TowerTalk] ground radials.

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Feb 22 06:45:09 EST 2016

Of the three SS is certainly the best for longevity. For effectiveness?
It certainly better than the soil.  If the SS fence used with a mild
electric charge for horses is about 16 ga.
If you are on a farm, you most likely have the equipment and skills ti
make a device that can hook to the back of a yard tractor to plant the
wire maybe an inch below the surface
If it's a regular yard with thick grass, it could be stapled down.  You
did say it was irrigated, so if grass, it should be green all the time
although a sand/clay mix isn't the best for grass.   So, if you choose
SS, from a personal preference as I don't have a book on radials, I'd
just use a few more.  I suspect that SS  with a higher resistance than
copper for a good radial system (a good  number rather than 4) won't
make much difference.    I haven't used a ground mounted vertical since
my phased quarter wave verticals on 40 through the 70s which is a fer
piece back.

I'm sure some of those using verticals and know far more about them than
I will soon chime in

73 es good luck,

Roger (K8RI)