[TowerTalk] OT but relevant

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Feb 25 13:16:52 EST 2016

On Thu,2/25/2016 10:03 AM, Mark Pride via TowerTalk wrote:
> Results:  Amazing.  No issue at all.  Imagine running 1500 watts on 4 bands simultaneously and where there was a directional antenna used, the antenna was pointed at the house.

No surprise at all. First, pacemakers are a mature technology, and there
are many potential RFI sources in the public environment, not the least
of which are cell phones, often in very close proximity to the pacemaker.

Second, RF is coupled by ANTENNA action, and by MAGNETIC coupling. The
pacemaker is, no doubt, designed to minimize both coupling mechanisms,
both of which increase with frequency. If they ill reject a GHz cell
phone a few inches away, they will certainly reject a kW HF rig 100 ft
away.

Let the pacemaker mfr tell you, but the sources I would be concerned
about are poorly designed or defective devices like microwave ovens,
variable speed motor drives, or other devices that create strong fields
in the UHF range.

73, Jim K9YC

73, Jim K9YC