[TowerTalk] OT but relevant

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Feb 25 20:45:45 EST 2016

On Thu,2/25/2016 11:40 AM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:
> Roger, you should run the welding leads twisted together to form a
> twisted pair as much as possible.

This is ALWAYS good advice for preventing magnetic coupling. Magnetic
coupling is proportional to the loop area formed by conductors carrying
the current. Running them closely in parallel minimizes that area.
Twisting improves that by 20-40 dB, depending on quality of the twist.
This has been well known since the earliest days of telephony (at least
150 years). Indeed, we should be using twisted pair for power in our
stations, and for loudspeaker wiring in home entertainment rather than
glorified zip cord.

73, Jim K9YC