[TowerTalk] how does one accomplish a 'stub' for destroying resonance on yagi elements?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 3 12:55:51 EST 2016

On 1/3/16 6:18 AM, StellarCAT wrote:
> How’s this for a solution... specifically for the antenna I have ... the M2 40M4LLDD which has linear loading wires that loop back towards and come close to the vertical uprights that support them... what if I installed a vacuum relay with one side connected to the center of the LL end ... and the other side to the upright thus when activated it would short the LL! This would most definitely destroy any resonances on 15. I could have the relays all connected together such that when 15 is the active band it automatically closes the relays... by using ferrites on the power lead to the relay it would isolate any other effects of the arrangement. Granted it is 8 relays ... but I believe it would be quite effective... thoughts anyone?
>
> I found a picture on how Optibeam does it and indeed I was right – they just use a parallel line to the element with a cap in series with this line to create a parallel tuned trap. But they have coils – and thus can do this readily ... the LLDD doesn’t and I don’t know that I could implement this outside the LL wires... but I’ll see... I understood, possibly incorrectly, that NEC2 can’t handle close wires – if it is spaced say
> 3” would that model ok?
is there a gap in the middle of the elements (all elements?) You could
put a LC network there that is low impedance at 40m (i.e. resonant) and
some non-zero Z at 15m. It should be possible to make something that is
pretty low loss with lumped elements.

NEC is not all that good at modeling close conductors.

Or, if you have existing loading components (the LL wires?) can you add
a tuned network/trap to them.  Have you called M2?  They might have some
ideas on where that trap could be.