[TowerTalk] Buried section base...and lightning protection.

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Jan 4 15:31:55 EST 2016

On Mon,1/4/2016 11:00 AM, R Morris wrote:
>   More better to inspect for rust. I had issues, inside legs of buried section, never seen until it was taken down after 20 years.

This is prevented by a layer of fairly large gravel at the bottom of the
hole, so that it's underneath the tower legs. The water is coming down
the tower legs from above, and the gravel allows for it to drain to the
soil.

The proprietor of this email reflector, Steve Morris, K7LXC, is a tower
professional (sort of retired, I think). I've watched him work on towers
for several local hams. He's written a great book on tower and antenna
installations called "Up The Tower." I contributed to the chapter on
Grounding. He sells the book on his website.

http://www.championradio.com/UP-THE-TOWER-The-Complete-Guide-To-Tower-Construction.1

73, Jim K9YC