[TowerTalk] F 12 EF 180

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Tue Jan 5 06:11:29 EST 2016

Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 12:59:05 -0500
From: Wayne Kline <w3ea at hotmail.com>
To: "towertalk at contesting.com" <towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] F 12   EF 180  .

All this great  conversation   on the evolution of the  F12 loading  wires  to then  loading  coils and there

development  . Got me thinking about my Summer 16 project.  I have a F 12 EF180 rotation dipole antenna

Having a 4 sq and HIGH dipole , I hope to modify it to 30 meters !!

I am not sure if Tom ever made  a 30 meter rotating dipole  but if he did  again I assume it's   loading

configuration is along the  linear loading wire design .

Might try to adapt the lumped inductor  to the transition  ?   thoughts ?

Wayne  W3EA

##  The EF-180  was made in 3 x versions,  EF-180S...  aprx  52 ft long.
EF-180B..aprx  68 ft long.  And the  EF-180C..aprx   86 ft long.

##  A 30m rotary dipole will only be aprx  46-47  ft long...so regardless
of which version of the EF-180  you have, like grant sez.... just toss the LL
wires, shorten the ant, and maybe add a single dacron  truss on each side.

##  a high 80m wire dipole works good.  And a high 80m rotary dipole works much better..
esp with its 14 db FS  on DX.  Either of those is 6db better than  an inverted vee.   A local fellow here has
2 x 80m high dipoles..at right angles to each other.... like a T.   Then coax to each one.
Makes a huge  difference when switching between  them.

Jim  VE7RF