[TowerTalk] Barker & Williamson Model AC - 1.8 - 30

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Tue Jan 5 06:28:32 EST 2016

Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 23:14:28 -0700
From: David Gilbert <xdavid at cis-broadband.com>
To: towertalk at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Barker & Williamson Model AC - 1.8 - 30
Antenna

You do realize that's an eHam link, right?  A piece of rusty rebar with
an SO-239 glued to it could get a rave review there.

A half dozen years ago I did a fairly extensive survey of reviews there
on several different items.  I probably looked at over 1,500 reviews on
a lot of products ... I was simply curious what kinds of things got 5's
and which ones got 0's and 1's.  In general, even the worst pieces of
crap got 4's and 5's.  The 0's and 1's were almost exclusively given for
bad service, typically out of spite more than anything else.

Their reviews are almost meaningless unless you find the rare one that
actually includes some comparison data and sounds like it comes from
somebody that has a clue what they're talking about.

Dave   AB7E

##  E ham is cheap entertainment at best.   Typ is..time owned....
just got it out of the box  5 mins ago.   One guy hated his new  Icom
xcvr...turns out he had the polarity of the 13.8 vdc reversed.  Another fellow
didn’t have the power supply plugged into the 120 vac outlet.

##  The balun reviews are fun to read, considering none of them really work.
The Mosely ant reviews are beyond reality.   And this B+W  AC  1.8-30
is beyond stupid.   Doesn’t  QST  review any of this stuff anymore ??

##  whats needed is a ham version of consumer reports.

Jim  VE7RF