[TowerTalk] My first introduction to guy-wire dead end grips

Larry lknain at nc.rr.com
Thu Jan 7 17:09:57 EST 2016

The ones I have used (mainly on Phyllistran) have a coating on the inner
surface of the grip which helps in the adhesion but I don't think it is
actually an adhesive per se. The instructions gave a few times the grip
could be unwrapped and rewrapped within a short time (a day or two I think)
on the ones I had.

If you wrap your hand around the index finger of the other hand and then
pull your index finger you can feel the resistance increase. I suspect it is
the same effect with grip and with the grip in a helical wind it probably
has much more resistance to slipping. But as noted, the grips do work. Power
companies have used them for years as guys for power poles. Mine have been
up about 10 years but others have had theirs up much longer than that.

73, Larry  W6NWS