[TowerTalk] How far away from the shack for that mighty fine tower

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Sat Jan 9 22:57:49 EST 2016

Once again I agree with K4XS. From a lightning and RFI standpoint it is nice
to have a little distance between your house and the tower. Both of my
towers are 250' from the shack.

John KK9A

To:	TOWERTALK at contesting.com
Subject:	[TowerTalk] How far away from the shack for that mighty fine
tower	:-]
From:	Bill via TowerTalk <towertalk at contesting.com>
Reply-to:	Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Date:	Sat, 9 Jan 2016 05:53:49 -0500

Having built a few big stations here are my  thoughts.

I have always like to have the towers away from the house a bit for  safety
reasons. Living in the lightning capitol of the northern hemisphere the
thought of a huge attractive spot for lightning to hit (and it does) I
preferred  to keep it away from the house as much as practical.  Second,
living
in
FL  the there is a real threat of a hurricane.  I would prefer that if the
tower does come down it will be far enough from my house as to not cause it

damage when it falls.

Also, the further the tower is from the house the less chance of RF
interference to household devices and from them to your antennas.

Another factor to take into account is the burying of the  cable.  If you
don't bury it, no big deal.  However, running 300 feet  of cable under
ground
can be a little expensive and pretty time consuming since  you have to put
it in some sort of conduit.

That being said it certainly is cheaper to have it close to the  house.
Depending on what bands you use extra distance can be a  problem.  Once you
get beyond a 100 feet or so, you'll have to beef up the  rotor cable, which
can be expensive.  Go beyond 250 or 300 feet and signal  loss can be a
problem
unless you go to hardline.  Obviously I'm referring  to the higher freqs
like 10 meters.  Other wiring such as to switch boxes  must also be
increased
in length and possibly in size.

To take care of the increase cost I've always been able to scrounge  up
cheap 7/8 or larger hardline.  For the extra sized rotor cable I've  always
used 14/2 house wiring.

All things considered, including aesthetics, my choice would be to  keep
the tower a minimum of the tower's height from the house.

Bill K4XS/KH7XS