[TowerTalk] How far away from the shack for that mighty fine tower

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Mon Jan 11 14:11:58 EST 2016

Why would you want a tower close to your house from a lightning
standpoint? A strike will induce high voltage into all of the wiring
inside your house.

John KK9A

To:	towertalk at contesting.com
Subject:	Re: [TowerTalk] How far away from the shack for that mighty fine
tower
From:	"Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net>
Date:	Sun, 10 Jan 2016 05:11:12 -0500

For lightening, I'd rather have it close. I'd want the distance for wind.
The tower is really a big lightening rod. The first few years it was up it
took 3 verified hits per summer. Undoubtedly it took more than the ones
that were seen. 17 verified direct strikes in 6 years with no damage to
anything in the house after the ground system was finished. No strikes
since then. The rigs and computers ran most of the time.

73

Roger (K8RI)