[TowerTalk] Rohn 25G clone born few minutes ago...

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Tue Jan 12 09:08:31 EST 2016

The rule of thumb is 28 days to achieve 90% of final cure strength but
this is modified by temperature of the air and ground, sunlight,
available moisture (do you mist the surface frequently the first day or
two if ambient temps are high), any additives to speed or slow the cure,
and so on. Here in Oklahoma my PE soils engineer consultant supervised a
pour done at 0200 local and within an hour or so they spread tarps over
the surface and flooded the pour to a depth of a couple inches with
water to reduce heat buildup. This was a quite large commercial building
floor slab thickened in areas of loading.

Caution doesn't hurt in deciding when enough is enough, especially for
hobby projects as a wait period likely is not costing BIG BUCKS EVERY
HOUR. You can't wait too long but you can wait too little. I prefer to
err on the side of caution (but  not ridiculously so.) Consider the
ramifications of "messing up" the concrete and "losing" whatever you
stuck into it, physically and monetarily.  Compare that to the, perhaps
anxious wait of a few days.

In my personal concrete work I try to go by the book as to incremental
cure strength, never approaching too close to the limits with my loading
and then toss in a little extra wait time because I don't want to "mess
up" and incur all the associated negatives of the downside.  I am not a
concrete professional but I do own 3 cement mixers, two electric and one
PTO powered for the 3 point hitch on the tractor and I admit to pouring
way more concrete than the average bear.

My best advice is to take all the extant factors into consideration and
add a safety margin that makes you feel comfortable. Remember all the
outside advisers and their opinions, including mine, are not connected
to any liability so don't let any of us get you into trouble.

Patrick        NJ5G