[TowerTalk] Anchors into solid rock instead of cement

Steve Jones n6sj at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 12 16:23:23 EST 2016

I've put in commercial microwave towers on mountain tops on bedrock.  We had
a soils engineer bore test holes into the rock.  Then gave the soils report
to a structural engineer who designed the concrete epoxy attachment anchors
based on the rock characteristics.  That's the right way to do it, but not
particularly cheap.  But we had a problem at one site where the borings went
into two granite domes which straddled an area of weathered rubble.  Had to
dig that part out and use reinforced concrete pours for that leg anyway!
Slate doesn't sound as solid as granite.

On the other hand, we had some sites where it was cheaper to pour a "mat"
foundation, basically a big flat rectangular of concrete that sits on the
surface.  The mass has to be big enough to resist the overturning moment of
the tower.

73,
Steve
N6SJ