[TowerTalk] Rohn 25 Vertical & Guying

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Wed Jan 13 16:37:29 EST 2016

Fiberglass sucker rods are solid "pulltruded" fiberglass, strong, and
insulating. They come in different diameters as you will see when
Googling.   Google "fiberglass sucker rods".

I have purchased used ones for a nominal $20.  Being 37 1/2 feet long I
cut them about in half to carry home on my pickup's roof rack.

I have a Hy-Gain Hy-Tower multi-band vertical which is a steel lattice
tower 24 ft high topped by decreasing diameter aluminum tubing for a
total height of 52 ft.  It comes with insulators for the legs.  This
tower/antenna is free standing so the insulators have to do the whole
job of keeping the tower erect.

These insulators can be purchased separately, I think.  If you need more
strength use 2-3 or more of these per tower leg.  Heavy wall aluminum
tubing to fit the insulators was included with the tower/antenna but I
replaced it with solid steel rod because I customized the mount and
needed to weld the parts.  Unable to weld aluminum to steel I replaced
the aluminum parts with steel. These aluminum tubes are available as
well. They were intended to be set into the concrete foundation but I
roof mounted mine on a steel building, no concrete, no radials, building
as counterpoise and worked well so far (3+ years.)

Some folks have used UHMW plastic and made their own insulators. What
suits you is based on your DIY abilities vs your pocketbook.

Patrick        NJ5G